Ok... so I am sorry for the quick, not very informative blog entry that I wrote in a hurry last night. Today, as things have settled down a little bit and I have a more clear mind which is not lacking sleep I will try to give everyone a real update!
I don't even remember what I wrote to you all last night so I will just start fresh with my life since yesterday..
I was awoken around 6:30 this morning by very obnoxious honking and tires squeling outside of my window which is just something that I will have to get used to again! We had breakfast at a little resaurant beside our hotel at 8:00 this morning and orientation to follow.... I am not sure why I did my hair today as it quickly went up into a pony tail becuase..well...it is so freaking humid...to give you an idea.... I have already showered once today and plan to do so again in about 1 hour before we leave for dinner! 2 showers in 1 day is not something that I do...I dont even like to take 1 shower a day if I don't have to... let's just say I will be a much changed girl than that kid who got dirt in her elbow creases in Mexico...
We learned a lot today about the customs and traditions of the Dominican people and what is expected and not expected. We also learned that for the next 2 weeks (beginning tomorrow) we will be staying with host families here in Santo Domingo and teaching at the state University. After the initial 2 weeks, 2 of us will be going to one small town and the other 2 to another.... (still not said which town for sure). The directors of the program have already got us apartments set up in the towns so we will have to be roommates with the other American that is with us. I guess that part is bitter sweet... I was hoping to live with some Domincian locals, but this way will cause much less stress!
We got our cell phones today as well... My phone # is 809-964-1321... there is also a country code which you will have to dial first (I am just not sure what that is at the moment).
Currently my body is trying to get used to being down here.... I am sure that it will be a couple of interesting weeks but I am very anxious to get settled and accustomed to live in the DR!
That is all that I know for now...I think it might be nap time ( like I said..trying to get accustomed)...
One last thing...they told us today that after we leave the hotel and get to our host families homes they don't know how much internet access we will have. So.... I will update when I can (via internet cafes and things of that sort) but I can't promise updates more than once a week or so.... I will let you know when I can!
As always...thanks for reading and keep in touch!!
OH MY GOSH CASS!!! I am SOOO excited for you! I literally laughed out loud when I read both of your posts:) I will send you my questions via facebook because I think that will be easier communication:) LOVE YA!
ReplyDeleteI also laughed when reading about your new bathing habits...and about waking up to horns honking and tires squealing. Do you sometimes get confused as to where you are?
ReplyDeletehey Cass, it took me a while but i am now a follower I think. hope all is well and cant wait to talk to you.take care of your self and have fun
ReplyDeletelove mom and dad