Ok...so I know that you all VERY proud of me for acutally updating my blog often! I am doing this because now the days seem to be very few and far between when I will have internet access... Right now I am managing to "borrow" from a neighbor of my host mother. I moved in yesterday and found out quickly that she is the sweetest old lady! She is 84 but looks about 70...She lives in a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom apartment all by herself, so she is very lonely. She follows me around the house wherever I go...last night I told her that I needed to get up at 7:00 this morning (Iwas planning to set my alarm)...BUT...no need.... this morning at about 6:55 she knocked lightly on my door came in and said "Buenos Dias!" She then fed me a banana and some ceral and sent me on my way!
The good news is that finally after 3 days my Spanish is coming back to me! It was VERY difficult the first few days because I was not understanding anything at all but finally tonight, we were able to carry a conversation at dinner. I am finally gaining back some confidence.
We found out yesterday that we are going to a town called Yuma... we being myself and another American named Sonja... now for the news.... I get 1 of 2 repsonses when I tell people that I am going to Yuma...either they say....DONDE??? or they say AY DIOS MIO...Pobrecita!! Either...WHERE? or Oh my good...poor thing! What I have learned is that it is a VERY small town and has nothing... BUT they told me that it has a beach and that I could probably get an internet connection...So..I am content!! Of course I am used to living in a town with nothing...Sonja on the other hand is from New York City... might be a little different for her!
We went to the University in town yesterday and obsereved some English classes and I remembered why I fell in love with this...the students were sooo nice! When I walked into the room they all got out of their seats and said Hi, Cassie! Everytime the teacher asked a question every person reaised their hand...They are all so eager to learn! Emily can relate to when we were in Merida!
Yesterday we also tried to learn the public transporation and to that I also say ay dios mio! The carros publicos or the public cars are these little tiny nissan looking cars (big enough for like 4 people)... but oh no... they put 7...yes 6 people plus the driver into these things...and with no air might I add! Needless to say if I never have to ride in one again with 6 other sweaty people I will not do so! There are also buses called guaguas which are more or less the same thing...a bunch of hot, sweaty people jam packed into a tiny bus with no air... and last but not least there are motoconchos which are motorcycle/moped taxis...which I also plan to avoid!
Anyway that is all for now! IF you don't hear from me soon it is only because I do not have internet...not because I am lazy or don't miss you all!
Love you!!!
I almost got teary hearing about your host mother. I wish you could stay with her the whole time! Being crammed in a hot car with hot sweaty people doesn't sound like my idea of a good time either! **shudder**. Hope you can enjoy some nice beach time this weekend.
ReplyDeletehey cass, it was good talking to you last night. glad to hear everything is going good. I looked up Boca de Yuma and it sounds to me like you are going to paradise. a town of 2400 people. they call it a small village but the pics i saw look awsome. anyway, take care of yourself and eat good and drink a lot of water you dont want to get sick. cant wait to talk again
ReplyDeletewe love you
mom and dad