Yo soy Yumera....People like to tell me all the time that I am not Ameircan anymore, I am Dominican and I am Yumeran ( from Yuma). And I, too, agree with them...But last night....this American was NOT happy with dominicans. I had plans to make dinner for some friends last night. Plans that were set for 7:30. Now, I know that I should take into consideration, Dominican time....but I have discussed this issue with my friends a lot and I thought maybe they understood that me saying dinner would be ready at 7:30 means, dinner will be ready at 7:30. Well...I made Spaghetti and garlic bread (which was delicious). What time did my guests show up? 8:45. Keep in mind this was after I called and said, "where are you guys?" "Oh, were in the house, just waiting." Ummm waiting for what? To piss me off? UGH! I was NOT a happy camper. Regardless the food was good and itwas fine. After we ate we were all on our way to watch a volleyball game and someone said "Pero, Cassie...tu eres Yumera, no?" I said "no....hoy no" No today, no. "entonces, que eres" "GUAPA" Here, guapa significa 'angry.' I got over it but I was not impressed. This American does NOT wait on people. Not on my students, not on my coworkers, not on my friends. If it is 2:00 and I have 2 students in the classroom- you better believe class starts at 2:00. Not my problem for the people who aren't there.
Speaking of class- Another aspect of me not being a Dominican...I am NOT okay with people who are big fat cheaters! Which is exactly what Dominican students are. We had a quiz on Friday and I sat all of the students around the room (by all I mean 12..because it was raining and they are big fat whiners who can't leave the house when it rains). Anyway I sat them all around the room so that they would not have a chance to cheat and there were actually mad at me. But teacher, why? Because you are big fat cheaters and I dont like cheaters. You look stupid when you cheat. About 15 minutes into the quiz I noticed one girl was using a translation application on her cell phone, so that got taken away. Then about 5 minutes later I noticed another student had a paper on his lap which he was writing the answers on to give to a student in the night class. Needless to say, that got taken away as well.
There are many aspects in which I would say that I am Yumera or I am Dominicana, pero... I am still an American at heart and still have a lot of my American values which were instilled in me as a child.
Anyway- I don't have a lot more to say.... I have had a LOT of vacation latley, and now I don't have much to look forward to ...EXCEPT...My birthday is in 13 days and I am stoked for that. Also...Isaac comes to visit in a little over a month which I am equally stoked for!
Sorry I have been a bad blogger lately...I will try to get better!
As always....much love from the Domincan Republic...come visit ( I am trying to stay until Decmeber so you all have plenty of time! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment