Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just a quick update

Hola! I don't really have a lot or really anything to say at all I just wanted to send everyone a quick update to let you know that all is well in the DR! Nothing much has happened since my last blog. Except that it is now officially hotter than a mother in this country that I call home. Today my roommate and I were sitting out on our balcony around 12:00 (which is shade covered) and we both had sunglasses on becuase it was too bright for us. After sitting out there for 5 minutes I said to her "oh my god, can you see my lip sweat? Can you see how much my face is sweating?" It was crazy hot today! Thank goodness I have a nice student who gave me a 'bola' (ride) to work today! When I heard his horn honk outside my window at 1:40 I almost jumped for joy! Sometimes by the time I get to school (a whole 5 minute walk) I am so hot I need to take a breather. Today I considered going to class in my swim suit and telling my students that today's class was going to be a theme: Beach Day. Instead I threw on a dress and some leggings and called it day! It has still been raining every day.. but after 5 days in the rain my clothes hanging on the line are dry...por fin! It better stop before this weekend because in case you have not checked your calandar...its my birthday on Sunday and I will be on the beach- rain or shine. I have not been to the beach for what seems like a month and I am starting to lose my tan and I am not ok with that! I know...my life is rough (I am guessing that is what you are all thinking right now). But my life IS in fact rough...

Yesterday I had to do some serious yelling to my class. I had to threaten (which is our new vocabulary word) that if they are not in class by 2:00 they will get 2 points taken away from their grade. EVERY time. 2:00 to this American does not mean 2:30, 2:15 or even 2:01. It means 2:00. What else am I tired of? Excuses....Excuses in English or Spanish. At this point if I ever hear "teacher excuse me" or " o cassie...excusame" from a student or another Dominican I might throw up! I think I am tired of that word for the rest of my life! I somehow wonder how I became such a tough person. If you know me at all, at one point I was a HUGE pushover...not any more! WATCH OUT! :)

I just have one funny story for you.... last week a student asked me to explain the word 'soil.' I began my drawing a flower pot in the board and telling them that it was similiar to dirt but it helps the plants and trees grow, but that it looks like dirt. Some understood, some pretended to understand and some were just plain confused....until one student saved the day (the same student who at one point told me "teacher...get balls") This student said "oohhhhhh" (which is my favorite noise to hear becuase that means a light bulb turned on. He said "ohhhh.... like the shit of cows." I am not sure where he learned that or how he knows that...but either way it cracked me up and got my other students to understand!

Anyway thats all I have for you today! Tomorrow is Thursday.... Its almost the weekend...its almost my birthday and almost time for the beach!

Have a happy and safe memorial weekend! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. oh my god as I am reading over this I realize how much my English is suffering due to my Spanish. Instead of saying a drew a flowerpot ON the board I said I drew one IN the board....o dios!

    ReplyDelete