Well, once again, it has been way too long since I have sent you all an update, so I will try to give you everything without going on and on and on....
First of all- obviously I am out of the hospital! Gracias a dios! I am feeling much better, still having a few minor issues but nothing that anyone really wants to know about (unless you are Dominican and then its ok to talk about). But I am feeling much better and my students informed me yesterday: "Teacher, before you sick, you were fat, but now you are more thin." Someone else said "The reason that you look fat, is because of your butt." It made me feel really good about myself! :) But anyway, I feel much better! However now, people in town think it is really funny that I got sick from eating donkey and now people walk up to me and say "donkey" and point and laugh or they come up to me or friends of mine and say "how do you say burro in English?" It is very amusing for people! Last Saturday night the same people who fed me the donkey were having a BBQ with horse and we were invited. I changed my mind a billion times about if I should eat it or not....I ended up landing on 'no' because I got nervous. But everyone else ate it and said it was pretty good, meanwhile I just stuck to some boring old chicken!
The most recent bad thing that has happened to me is that I had a tooth break while I was drinking something the other day. I have been asking around as to how much it will cost/where I can go and all that good stuff...sounds like one of these days I will be taking an adventure into a Dominican dentist and hopefully getting my tooth fixed for about 50.00. I will of course keep you all updated on that!
Last week (Easter for all of you) was Semana Santa (holy week) here in the DR. We only worked on Monday and Tuesday, then headed for the beach Wednesday through Sunday! Let me just tell you, I could use a holy week about once a month! It was amazing! There were people everywhere, concerts on the beach, food, amazing company and lots of beer! What more can a girl ask for? A group of great friends, the ocean, the sun, a bottle of Brugal (Dominican rum), some Presidente (Dominican beer), and a vacation! On Wednesday we went to Boca De Yuma which is the local beach about 10 minutes from my house which was ok (its not my favorite beach). On Thursday we took a 6 hour adventure para Samana, a becah town located on the northern coast.
The adventure started at 8:00 in the morning, we took a bus from here to La Romana, got on motoconchos, took antother bus to Santo Domingo where we thought we would catch one more nice, air conditioned bus another 3 hours to Samana, however we were wrong! We ended up on a public, non air conditioned, filled with people and lugage, stops every 5 minutes, really crappy van. But it's all part of the adventure. We got there, found a boat, they took us to a little island, went out that night and became the most popular gringas in the DR! :) Friday morning we took a really sweet vehicle about 45 minutes to another part of the coast and went and hung out at the beach all day. I realize that this blog is not very detailed but I am kinda tired today!
Que mas? We came back here on Saturday. Decided to head to the beach yet again on Sunday. We went to Bayhaibe which I believe to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the DR (that I know thus far). It's about 45 minutes from my house so not bad at all! We acutally got a friend to find a vehicle and they took us in the back of their truck (which is free and always a lot of fun!) Speaking of free...my students are on this really big kick where they like to call me stingy- so now I am trying to explain the difference between being stingy and poor...anyone have ideas?
And now...this week...its back to work! Working all week... next Monday is labor day here in the DR so we will have yet another long weekend this weekend ( we have some visitors coming ) So I am guessing we will spend the long weekend at the beach yet again, which I am not mad about! THEN.... next Wednesday night I head to La Capital to catch my early morning flight back to Iowa for the weekend! I have a friend from the university who is getting married and I am more than excited to come back and celebrate! I am also stoked to see my family, and get some good food!
As of my life in the DR goes.... I am supposed to be coming home at the end of July, however, my life is here right now and I am not ready to say goodbye to it quite yet. I am currently trying to pick up a second class in August, or find gold. One way or another I am trying my hardest to extend my stay here yet again, until at least December, and then we'll take it from there!
I have uploaded a few pics to facebook, however I have no fun scenery pics, because they were on someone else's camera but as soon as they get emailed to me I will send them along for you to enjoy!
Also---- I am still waiting for visitors! :) Love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment