Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I am back!

It has been a looong time! As you know, I have been without internet access, but the good news is, I am back! I have internet again! I don't even know where to begin, as it seems like a lot has happened since I blogged last. So I am going to make this blog via bullet points again to better organize my thoughts.


  • School: Welll, as you know I switched classes. Thus far, it has been nice. Some days it can be difficult, but other days it's so wonderful. It takes me back to the days when my other class was just learning basics and I remember how excited I would get when they would learn stuff; I have that same feeling now. It is also fun becuase people make mistakes, and we alll just laugh about it. (In my class, we laugh with each other, not AT each other). For example: Yesterday I was asking a student what her favorite holiday was. She said "oh teacher, my favorite holiday is Christmas." I said "why, Rafaela?" "Because I am with family, I eat food, and..... I love you" I said... "umm...what? you love me?" At which point everyone laughed pretty hard realizing that she meant to say "and I love it." We all got a very big kick out it. It can be hard because I am having to teach them things which they should already know, but it is still fun! Every day is different and challenging in one way or another. I wouldn't change it for the world. Other than that report- school is the same! I can't complain. Life as an English teacher is great (Except the pay, of course).

  • Mi vida en San Rafael: Life in San Rafael has been great! Jenna (my roommate) and I have become very close friends, which is really nice when you are living in another country. I have had such a different experience this time around, in that I have really 'lived' here. I rode a horse( with no saddle). I had to be thrown onto it becuase, well, I can't jump up there! I went to a baseball game (Which we lost)...oh AND during the baseball game, a horse with 2 girls on it ran onto the field being CRAZY and knocked the two girls off. The girls were not hurt, but very embarrased (rightfully so). We celebrated Carnaval a few weekends ago (Which is the celebration of indepedence here in the DR). I am sure I am leaving things out, but life is just wonderful this year! I am meeting a lot of new people, and experiencing more than I could ever ask for.

  • My life with Victor: My life with Victor is wonderful as well! I haven't been back to SD as much as I was last year for a couple of reasons. The first- I had not gotten paid since last November and we just finally got paid last week. The money supply was, well..there was no money supply, so I had no money for the bus. Also because I have been hanging out here in San Rafael doing things. But life with us is good. I went back last weekend to visit him, however I spent the entire weekend with the gripe (the worst cold of my life). But, he took care of me! He got me medicine, he cooked me food, he let me sleep, he made me tea. It was wonderful! Oh, and also he helped me do some laundry which was very nice and much needed.

  • Other things: I have come to realize that this year is FLYING by. It's arleady the middle of March..WTF?!? I have realized that there are some things ( a lot of things) that I am really going to miss about the DR: the weather, the sunshine, the simplicity, the easy life, my students, my job, my friends, my boyfriend (or as my students like to say- my husband), and the list goes on and on.... However, there are some things that I am NOT going to miss such as: little boys who only know the words "I love you" in English and feel the need to yell them to you every time you walk by, getting hit on by creepy people, the power going out and ruining my chicken in the freezer, washing my clothes by hand, cold showers...the list goes on and on! :) Either way, this has been and forever will be one of the most amazing experiences of my life and August is coming way too soon! Don't get me wrong- I miss all of you, but the next "chapter" of my life, has me totally, completley freaking out! I know, I know...everything will work out! It always does!

That's all for now! Love you and come visit! I have one visitor lined up for 24 whole days...That's right..my amazing friend, Isaac! So.... the rest of you...I am still waiting!!! Donde estan???



ps....for my Costa Rica friends....This girl finally loves papaya! Who would have ever thought?


One more thing...If a person asked you to explain the word "although" how would you do so? And one more question to ponder... "teacher, what means "no matter what?"


Uno mas....For all of you who knew my grandpa Eckles and knew this about him, you might enjoy this story...Every year for my birthday my grandpa would give me a card and it would saysomething like "happy birthday, love you." I don't know..Anyway at the bottom of EVERY card he would draw stick people. He would draw me, himself, martie (his wife) and the dog (bandit). Every year, I would laugh at him. It was kind of a joke that he and I had, just between us (As far as I know). This year as I am teaching and having to draw everything to explain things, I find myself drawing stick people ALL the time! My students laugh at me, and I don't even care! In a way, it makes me think that all the way over here in the DR, grandpa Eckles is with me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment