Thursday, February 24, 2011

Changes

Here I am writing again...trying to get better at informing you more often about my life! For the most part, things are much more positive than what you may have read in my last post. While yes I am still very very sad that I have lost my "children," I have found new children. I have a group of 18 people, who are on the lower end of the learning spectrum right now, but I am bound and determined to get them moving up the ladder! I had a very bad attitude going into this class, and I thought very hard about what my method would be. My first thought- sink or swim. But, after a little consideration, I decided that would be very nice. So- my new method? Taking things....VERY VERY VERY VERY slow. Today- it worked wonderfully! 95% of my group understood nearly everything that we learned today! I have never been so proud of a group of students, or really of my teaching. It was great! The downside to that is- my old "children" tell me they are not learning. So what happend today? After class- I had a group come over to my house and I had to teach them what they should have learned in class. I have no problem doing that, it is just a shame that it is necessary. I am very excited to see what these next couple of months will bring with my new group and hopefully what will continue to happen for my old group. I hope that together we can all acheive great things!




I had a student tell me yesterday that she was in the University and her teacher told her (in Spanish of course) to give her pronouns...and she said to me "teacher...I could not even remember what the pronouns were in Spanish, I was only thinking in English!" I was SO freakin excited! I almost screamed, it was such a great thing to hear! I love it! That means, they are learning!!!




What is going on aside from class? Last weekend I stayed here in Yuma (due to the fact that the money supply is running low). We didn't do anything overly exciting. Sunday I had to go to Santo Domingo for a meeting for work on Monday which was supposed to start at 9:00, but here in the lovely DR, did not start until 11:00. Needless to say, this kid was NOT impressed! This week I have just been working and trying to lose a few pounds (because apparently I got fat over xmas and people here in the DR do not have a problem telling me so....( There was a rumor here in town that I was pregnant....but rest assured, that is NOT in any way shape or form, true.))




This weekend... cleaning my house, going grocery shopping (currently in my fridge- 1 egg, some ketchup, some oatmeal, sugar, milk, water, mayo, onion, tomatoes, and salami). What can I cook with that? NOT MUCH! Laundry, laying out to get a tan, and, well..that's about it! Traveling is not really an option because I have gotten no paycheck since I came in January, and it doens't look as though that will happen until the end of March! But don't feel bad for me, this is all a way to teach me something in life! This whole adventure, day by day, is teaching me many many lessons that one day I will be grateful for!




I know that you are all hoping for some warm weather at home, while I am hoping that the weather here does not change! It has been so perfect, I use 1 blanket at night, I sit on my patio, I don't really sweat...I am not looking forward to being miserable.




One last thing...last night we had what appeared to be a "baby alligator" in our house.... I know it was just a little lizzard thing but it was the biggest one I have ever seen, and while my roommate was trying to get it out she claimed that it bit her. ICK!

No comments:

Post a Comment