Life in the DR...always an adventure! This is probably going to be a quick blog, just to update you on things very quickly....I have been telling myself to blog every night this week but I haven't quite gotten that far, so I figured, maybe today I would try it before work. I say it is going to be quick though, because I am STARVING! A student is supposed to bring me lunch at noon...but it is 12:17 and still no Yaremi.... but I have to remember...she is probably on Dominican time, not American time.
School is going great still! My students are talking more and more everyday. This week, every day I have had a "word of the day" and I ask them what it means for them. I like to ask them, because their vocabulary is that of a child, and I believe that children can give the best advice sometimes. Thus far I have asked: What is love? What is happiness? I have gotten some cute asnwers....I am not sure what the question will be today. Yesterday, we were talking about personality traits and I got told that I am the following: Puncutal, impatient(which I blamed on my dad), strict (which they said isnt a bad thing), and I don't remember the rest...either way, they were right on!
Last weekend I had the adventure of my life! My friend Megan came to visit (she lives like 2 hours away)....We decided we wanted to go to Boca de Yuma to the beach on Saturday but we did not want to pay a boat driver so we decided to try to find a different beach that we could walk to. We ended up finding a little I dont know what you call it...a little cave thing..I dont know...anyway it was sweet..It was very dominican...filled with Dominicans swimming in a variety of things which did not include a swimsuit!
Next...we had heard of another "Fresh water cave" so we decided to go on another adventure....Thank goodness we had met some people there in Boca De Yuma who said they would show us...if they hadn't, we would never have found it. We walked and walked and walked and walked..through fields and over fences and through trees and down a freakin mountain, and there it was...BEAUTY! I mean...If I am being honest, I was a little nervous because I had no clue where we were going, and we could have been getting kidnapped for all I knew. But it was beautiful once we got there! We ended up jumping in and enjoying the "ice water" as the Dominicans were calling it! The entire time I was really nervous that I was going to encounter a snake...but they kept saying, the only thing you are going to feel brushing up against your leg is a camaroncito (a little shrimp). Anyway it was a blast!
On Sunday I went to a baseball game here, the other team won, we helped them celebrate! After that I went to a basketball game here. Friday night I went to a birthday party which was also fun...although I had my first "outhouse" experience. Some people here still have outhouses..where they shower, and go to the bathroom, although I have never seen the inside of one. We were at this birthday party and I had to go to the bathroom so I asked a girl to take me. So we walked outside where it was pitch black and she pointed and said 'over there!' I said...ummm where?? She poitned to this little tin building and said "in there" and she opened the door...it was pitch black and said "tienes miedo?" Are you scared? I said.."umm si, tengo miedo" Umm yeah Im scared! So I opted for the better option of her watching that no one could see me, and squatting on the ground outside! Thats me, Im classy! :)
Anyway...thats the update! :) Now, Im working this week...probably laying low this weekend....thats about it! I think I am coming home for a long weekend in May for a wedding...and thats my life!
ps...I will add pictures later (either here or facebook cuz my internet is too slow right now! Oh and the food just arrived! and its COW! :) Or I mean..beef! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment