Friday, November 26, 2010

I am Thankful...

I know that latley I have been a little on the negative side of things- sort of 'giving up.' But I am back to happy! I don't have a ton to say (which I know I always tell you but then find things to ramble on about). I am only writing to tell you about my Thanksgiving Day.


It started out on the very bad side... I was extremely sad- even spent a good part of the morning crying like a little baby who missed her mom and dad. I was not in the mood to teach, I was not even in the mood to get out of my pajamas..but I had obligations. I got my butt up, I got in the freezing cold shower (which did not help my mood) and I made some macaroni and cheese and I had planned on having a skype date with my family during their Thanksgiving dinner...So, the only place that I can find good enough internet reception to skype is on my roof. I got ready for work and headed up there and waited...and waited...and waited... (all the while, working on my tan) However...they could not get skype to work on their end. Needless to say I was more than bummed out- I shed a few more tears, and then all of a sudden I heard a voice so I turned around (tears rolling down my face) and saw one of my students, so I quickly wiped my tears away and said, "what are you doing here?" She just came to walk me to class.


All of my students knew that I was going to be sad yesterday, so we had party. They brought potato salad, chicken, apple cake, pudding, jello, cookies, chocolate, yummy chocolatey bean soup (which is better than it sounds), pop, and other random things. We all stood in a cirlce and said what we were thankful for. It was very nice to be able to share this day with my new family down here; my students. Anyway, we had our party, the students gave their Thanksgiving Day presenations, and I said...you know what? I don't want to work- let's go home early, so we did!


A couple of hours later...Sonja's students had their class at our house. They wanted to give us a Thanksgiving dinner...Originally they had planned to bake a turkey, only to tell us "it's too complicated." I am not sure what was complicated about it but..we went a Dominican route instead...They made us cheesy dumplings which were to die for. I cannot even tell you the amount of happiness I tasted with each bite! :) It was fun..I got to skype with my family and my students got to say hello to them, we listened to music, there were about 8 cooks ( which in my opinion is too many.... and there was some disagreements had regarding how to cook it). Anyway it was a great time, amazing food and wonderful people to share it with. These students have opened up their hearts to us and for that I could not be more grateful. Two of my student's gave me cards yesterday which were not written in perfect English, but they were so thoughtful.


As for the weekend...Tonight I cleaned my room, washed my underwear, hung my mosquito net back up, got things organized (realizing that I only have 9 more days left before break), did the dishes, have some clothes soaking in bleach...very productive evening. Tomorrow I think Sonja and I are heading to Boca de Yuma to eat some yummy fish and enjoy an afternoon by the water..Sunday, I think I am going go lay out and get a tan! I have a little bit of work to do on Sunday at some point but it should be a quiet weekend which I am excited about!


Working next week-heading to Santo Domingo to meet Victor's dad next weekend...One more work week (4 days) and then mi familia esta aqui! The next 20 days are going to be dedicated to me working on my tan! And hopefully get back to not being such a fat butt and losing a few lbs..I have been gaining some weight because of all of the junk I have been eating to keep my mind off of being homesick.


So until something else exciting happens...Talk to you all soon! Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment