Monday, November 22, 2010

You'll Find Love, Peace, and The You You're Meant to Be

Well hola otra vez.... Como han estado? I have been good, mas o menos! I am having a bit of homesickness but realizing that maybe the reason taht I am homesick is because I know that I get to be home soon but I am not sad to leave the DR because I know that I will be coming back.


I know that when I tell some people I am homesick, in their minds they are probably saying "I told you so" but it is not a case of me not wanting to be here anymore or me giving up, because as my title states I have found love. I have found peace. And I am finding the me and I was meant to be. It is a great feeling! But what else is a good feeling? Seeing my parents, seeing my nieces and nephews, seeing my siblings, being a fat cow and eating all of the Christmas goodies that I want, being a "couch potato" as I taught my students today, being cold for once (instead of sweating), not itching from mosquito bites, being able to get in my car and drive wherever I want, whenever I want (tires being fixed (hopefully) and snow depending), laughing with my friends and family and not having a language barrier of any type. I am excited for all of those things and so much more. But on the flip side, in 4 weeks after being home I will be excited about coming back to warm weather, getting a tan again, seeing my students smiling faces, seeing mi novio (my boyfriend), experincing the simplicity of life in the 3rd world, expericing that thing that I call chivalry, imparting wisdom on my children here, all of the above!


I will start by telling you what happened today and why I love the concept of chivalry. Sonja and I went to Higuey to the grocery store- we came back with probably 8 bags (mas o menos) and we were on the bus on the way home (which as I have told you before does not go by our house). It started to rain and we were almost back here in San Rafael when the driver asked Sonja: Van para tu casa? Are you guys going to your house? She said yes (assuming he would just drop us off at the bus stop) but he put his turn signal on and came down our street which I thought was nice enough...THEN as I was getting off the bus ( and by me saying getting off...I mean I was being helped off- A man always helps you off the bus- just reaches out a hand which I am in love with), I went to grab the grocery bags and the man who takes your money said no no I will bring them for you...So they made everyone else (12 people) sit on the bus and wait while they carried our bags in...it was so thoughful and so wonderful!


This past weekend Sonja and I went to Bavaro to "celebrate" Thanksgiving with the 2 other American girls...We had a good time- got some sun by the pool, ate a lot of food, went out dancing- slept till noon...my idea of a good weekend! But now it's back to work..boo! One of my students asked me today if we had class on Thursday (due to it being Thanksgiving) and I said yes :(...I think along with me they too were hoping it would be cancelled but of course not. My smiling face will be eating Mac and Cheese for lunch, going to work for 4 hours and coming home- probably eating oatmeal for dinner...but hey Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and I hope each and every one of you enjoys every bite of yummy food! I am not jealous at all!


But my students are great! They are getting so smart! We have recently begun to have debates in class which is so exciting! They love it! I love asking them questions that makes them think. Today the question: Is it ok for a man to cry in public? They had some interesting responses but it was fun! :) I have recently begun to work on pronunciation issues with them. Sometimes I think they want to kill me because I am drilling every issue into them. They are going to sound like Americans when I am done with them whether they like it or not! :)


I hurt my foot somehow a couple of weeks ago and one of my dear students, Alcibiades said to me "teacher...are you toes hurting?" You are (then he did the action of limping) and I said yes, I am limping, my foot hurts. He said to me" use muscle cream- it will feel better." My heart smiled because we talked about muscle cream and pain a good 2 months ago- and he remembers! :) I love it!


As for my life at home (here in the DR at my house) I have stopped doing the following : Washing my clothes (except I still wash my underwear on a weekly basis- that is just necessary). But it is too much work and I refuse to wash my laundry anymore. I can't do it. It makes me tired just thinking about it. We also have not mopped for a good 3 weeks- you can imagine how disgusting our floor is. We also have gotten pretty lazy in the grocery shopping department. We have been out of toilet paper for about 2 weeks- so..we have been using napkins! We are becoming Domincianas :) Que mas? My mosquito net fell down about 4 days ago- I have not put it back up, instead I have just been suffering a few extra bites. That's right..I have gotten pretty lazy...Hopefully going home for 4 weeks will refresh me and I will come back and not be disgusting anymore! :) I'll keep you posted!


I also believe that all of the weight that I have lost..will be gained back here shortly...Sonja and I have been eating Mac and Cheese for the past week and probably will continue doing so for the next 3 weeks- nothing like a little pasta to help a person gain a few pounds- but it's comfort food and that is what I am going to eat.


As for the rest of my time... Working this week- not positive for this weekend yet. Working next week- going to Santo Domingo next weekend para pasar tiempo con mi novio and working the following week- y por fin..my family will be here and then I am on my way home to see all of your beautiful faces!


Until then! Love you!


Ps....Feliz dia de gracias! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment