Friday, July 1, 2011

Isaac is Yuma




Hi, My name is Isaac and I am Cassie's friend from when she studyied in Mexico. Since I am a math teacher in the Montana, I get a awesome 3 month break. Oh the joys of being a teacher. Since Cassie has been slacking on her blog, I will be her guest blogger for the next 20ish days.




This picture is of our free ride in the back of a truck. They are called bolas.



Well it started out on June 17, I left Minneapolis at 2 PM and then I arrived in Philly. I was supposed to arrive in Santa Domingo at 9:45 PM but of course it never goes as plan. After only getting 15 minutes to make it to my flight I was the crazy person that no one wants to be sprinting through the Philly airport. I was a mess sweating like crazy and I was the last person to board the plane. As I was boarding there was some crazy guy cussing out the bag guy in Spanish. He was being a jerk, and what are the odds, I had to sit by him. He was ok though. We were then informed that we were the 38th plane in line to take off. Needless to stay we sat in the plane for 2 hours before take off.








I finally arrived in the DR at 11 PM. The customs system lets about anyone in. It was pretty easy. I found Cassie and then we were off to the hotel. Cassie informed me that she was freaking out because she thought she was going to be late because the taxi driver got lost 4 times. One would think that the airport should be the number one place that a taxi driver should know, but I guess not. As we were driving at tire blew on the taxi. What are the odds. As he was fixing the tires, he left the windows rolled up and now I was really sweating my balls off. But I guess he doesn't know how to change a tire, so another guy picked us up and we went to the hotel. After the crazy trip that would happen to us 2, I was able to eat for the first time since 12.








The next morning we got up at left for Cass's small town called San Rafael del Yuma or just Yuma. Yuma is about the same size of where I teach now, Baker, Montana. That night Pablo Piddy was performing at the town gym. He is a rapstar down here. It was very fun. After that we hitched a free ride in the back of a truck and went downtown to dance. We were at a bar called the Papa where they put tables up in the street. We danced like crazy and Cass and I danced in the street alone in the rain because Domincans are afraid of the rain.








The next day we went to Boca de Yuma which is a small beach town. We went to this place Cass calles the Cave. It is a little piece of ocean tucked away in the cave and is seperated from the ocean by a hole where the ocean water comes in. I did some sweet cliff jumping.








The next week was pretty relaxed. I went to Cass's class. She is a great teacher. The students speak great English. I have been playing alot of pick up basketball games in the street and at the gym. It is so freaking hot here. Needless to say I am the only white guy (gringo) playing and I am just dripping sweat. My first game happened in the middle of the street. It was 3 on 3. I mean the middle of the street. We had to take time outs to let cars, motocycles, and of course donkeys pass by. They also call fouls on the opposing team themselves which causes huge controversy. The person never thinks he fouled so then they just start yelling and I of course have no idea what is going on. So i just hang out while they yell at each other for awhile. I have won all by one game since I have been here. I have understood 2 quotes, "The gringo understands basketball hahaha" and "Good luck keeping up with the fast feet of dark people."








I went to the City of Higuey one day with Cass and her roomate Jenna. The taxi rides are so funny. The are called Motoconchos. They are motorcycles. My friend Jenna and I rode on one with the driver and Jenna was sideways cause she had a skirt on. It was quite the experience. It is kinda scary being on the back and weaving in and out of traffic.








I love how relaxed this place is. Everyone is so kind. There are stray dogs, loud ass roosters who are clearly confused with the time of day, and loud music always. Needless to say, sleeping is hard in the mornings. Those roosters get going at 3 in the morning and don't stop all day.








My Spanish is ok, but the dilect is so different. They do not pronouce s's, so that makes it kinda hard.








Jenna, Cass, and I are off to the beach and a waterpark this weekend.








I want to thank my kick ass roomates Jenna and Cassie for letting live off them for 24 days.








take care

No comments:

Post a Comment